Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: I like your theory on

Informational absorption is a direct consequence of the principle of Transfer Efficiency and the law of Conservation of Information. Since information can neither be created nor destroyed, and since a coefficient of Transfer Efficiency < 1.0 implies information loss, the information has to go somewhere.

At non-relativistic information densities, the average energy per quantum of electricity is insufficient to overcome the potential barrier created by the insulation dielectric. Electrons whose velocity vectors take them to the wire/insulation interface can either be reflected or absorbed, or a combination of both, depending on the angle of incidence and the ratio of the coefficients of informational absorption of the two materials. Lighter colored dielectrics have a very low coefficient of IA, whereas conductive metals have a coefficient very close to unity. The information impedance mismatch causes the electrons to bounce back into the signal stream in what is almost a purely elastic collision. Provided the wire is thin enough and the signal velocity high enough, the resulting energy loss and signal path distortion is minimal. But for materials like black insulation, with coefficients in the range of 0.5 or lower, half or more of the information is lost. The tendency of electrons to cross the interface is heavily influenced by surface roughness and inhomogeneity on the inner surface of the insulation layer. The molecular weight of the pigment agent plays a major role in determining the change of electron momentum that occurs in the collision. The process itself is highly nonlinear and dependent on the Van der Waals cofficients of the respective materials. For this reason, the Ideal Gas Law does not apply to electron clouds flowing in the conductor. I would get into a more detailed proof, but it quickly gets complicated. My old mentor, sadly deceased, Dr. Kurt Bokonon, had a way of explaining this that made it all incredibly clear, but I'm afraid I lack the skill he did at explaining difficult technical concept with such clarity...

-Henry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.