Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: A primer on Modern Physics as it relates to tube amp design

To be honest, Henry, I'm having a hard time buying all of this.

"Thin wires (or foil) have low mass and therefore exert less gravitational force on the electrons moving through them. This reduces "gravitational drag" that slows down the electrons, causing them to shed information."

The delay of a length of wire is related to a parameter called 'velocity of propagation", which, in any real world conductor, is less then the speed of light. So what you are implying is that I should see a measureable change in propagation delay if I place the wire close to a heavy object (as opposed to open space).

"Forcing electrons to go around curves causes them to lose information (move more slowly). Avoid twisting signal wires whenever possible."

So if I measure the delay of 100 feet of wire laid out in a straight line (about 150 nsec), it will be less than if I wrap the wire around a 6" diameter coil form. But if I were to tightly wrap the wires close together, I've just formed an inductor. So if the delay is greater, what is the cause - inductance or "gradational drag" due to the influence of adjacent wire mass? Of what consequence is this additional delay in an audio application?

"Light colored insulation also has a lower index of informational absorption"

Huh? How did you determine that? I haven't seen that information specified in any wire document.

While I appreciate your theoretical analysis, I'm doubtful that they are of much consequence in an audio application.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.