Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Henry...suggest you discontinue arguing with Stu, and...

Thanks for the notes. Again, a lot of misunderstanding here.

1) Galileo was a scientist. His conflict with the church pitted him against the religious and political establishment who had a powerful incentive to stop the spread of science and reason. Same thing today, when much of the hi-fi industry depends on keeping people from thinking clearly about the value of what they're buying. In this analogy, I am Galileo and the hi-fi tweakers represent the church. The flat-earthers were the ones saying, "Don't think! Trust your senses: the ground is flat and the sun circles the earth!"

2) I keep saying (and I'll say it again) that I'm not declaring the claimed effects are "impossible." Anyone who thinks I said that isn't reading what I've written. What I have said is that the burden is on the people making claims to provide the proof. The burden is not on the audience to prove the claimants wrong.

3) Science is by nature an adversarial process. Scientists propose hypotheses and publish experimental results to justify them. The scientific community's job is to try to shoot holes in the research. It's a process of trial by fire. Good experiments get duplicated and validated. Bad ideas get trashed, or evolve and are reborn to start the process again. The fact that many scientists are skeptical of new theories that are eventually proven out does not mean the scientists were fools, or that the process of science doesn't work. The same is true when accepted scientific theories are forced to change in the face of new research. This is all part of the process.

4) There is way too much valid scientific data showing how fallible human hearing is for me ever to accept at face value that just because one or a bunch of audiophiles "heard" something that this means the "something" they heard was real and not an artifact created in their heads. Do some studying on the topic of psychoacoustics and blind testing methodologies and you'll see what I mean. There is a hell of a lot of neural processing going on in the auditory part of your brain, and it's just naive to think that conscious and subconscious biases don't affect perception.

5) I'm not criticising Stu for saying that black insulated wire sounds different. I'm questioning the engineering explanation he's given us to try to substantiate his claim. His technical reasoning is insufficient to prove the case.

All this makes me think of arguments about evolution I've read on news sites and discussion boards. The creationists like to say that science is just an atheist religion as though this proves the whole issue is purely a question of philosophical relativism. And therefore, belief in science is just another kind of "faith" that is no more valid than religious faith. This is all bunk. There are fundamental, deep philosophical differences between science and religion. If this isn't clear to you, you also need to spend some time reading about the philosophy of science.

Finally, the idea that asking for explanations of surprising claims is somehow wrong is just totally backwards, IMHO. If what you are saying is that all perceptions are valid, and that any lay technical speculation based on subjective observation must be accepted as true by default, then I have a big, fat spaghetti monster to sell you...

(If you don't know what the Flying Spaghetti Monster is, then you can add that to your research list.)

-Henry

Edits: 05/03/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.