Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: power transformer design questions or call it debate .

IMHO, I look for test equipment transformers made for Hewlett Packard or Tektronix that have dual primaries or international specs; 120 and 240v. PAECO made many for HP. There are many parameters that have to be juggled but SIZE matters. The larger core(the cross section of the center tongue where the wire is wound around) will yield a better transformer. Another criteria that is hard to investigate is whether the core window is filled up with wire and the use of an electrostatic shield. I tend to stray away from toroids as they are wide band and will pass most any trash on the power line unless they have a shield between the primary and the secondary. You don't want the tranny to overheat or to vibrate excessively and undersize trannys will do that. You also don't want to over tighten the bolts holding the laminations together. They will deform the soft iron. Good transformers are expensive but the price will ward off any problems down the line and we all want our projects to be successful. Ray

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.