Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Support article for your observation

Here's some help for the guys still going "huh?" to your statement. You are correct. I have seen some original results from Maxwell's original paper and it was vastly too complex to use to make chalkboard solutions to almost anything. It had to be simplified, but not too simple.

However, the simplified theory contains the equations borrowed by Einstein for his "simplified" General Theory of Relativity:

Albert Einstein wrote (Wikipedia on Maxwell's Equations):

"The precise formulation of the time-space laws was the work of Maxwell. Imagine his feelings when the differential equations he had formulated proved to him that electromagnetic fields spread in the form of polarised waves, and at the speed of light! To few men in the world has such an experience been vouchsafed ... it took physicists some decades to grasp the full significance of Maxwell's discovery, so bold was the leap that his genius forced upon the conceptions of his fellow-workers"
—(Science, May 24, 1940)

It had to simple as possible as Einstein always knew, understanding the model limitations, such as the need for free space and not other variable "contaminations" such as atmosphere. As Tesla would understand, he put the atmosphere back in there. But you can't assume a homogeneous atmosphere as there is none on this planet.

Simple is essential in 1940 in order to make progress, The simplest problems are not surmountable with a full Maxwell cause/effect equations all in use. With today's supercomputers, there can be more added measurable variables to include for a more complete model and hence solve for more complex problems.

You will note, for example, that linearity is always assumed in the media electromagnetic waves propagate. That is only 100% true in the vacuum of space.

I wouldn't blame Heaviside, et. al., except not to fully disclose in his published articles what assumptions and limitations he added, if that is really what he did. But it was the PUBLISHERS demanding it simplified from the mathematicians, in order for a theory to be useful in their day and age of hand calculations.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.