Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

6S17K planer to GU-15

Just playing around with a two-stage “DHT” using 6S17K-V planer tubes cap coupled to a trioded GU-15. I had been using a 6L4 acorn as a driver, so I just popped it out and clip-leaded the 6S17K in. Sounds fine. Four Radio Shack AC-DC wall warts powering all four tubes in stereo. I'm running the 6S17K fils at 4.7V rather than 6.3V out of habit.

I expected oscillation issues with the planer but the only concession was to solder a 270-ohm carbon comp to the grid ring with about 3mm between the resistor body and the grid ring. The rest of the leads were soldered on as well and clipped to the acorn’s socket. I'm sure I do have issues, but with long leads and messy implementation, it's listenable.

Turning on the amp the plate to cathode voltage of the 6S17K is 280V, grid bias over a 570-ohm cathode resistor was 2V. So 3.5mA of plate current and a 1W dissipation (max for the 6S17K is 2W). Plate load is an 80H choke, but this is too low for the plate resistance at this operating point. Bass is much less than the 6L4 as expected. Gain is greater as expected, but gain would be higher with a properly sized plate load.

The 6S17Ks are about $3 each delivered so it was a cheap experiment.
Matt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - 6S17K planer to GU-15 - mwiebe 10:26:32 03/22/12 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.