Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: I am afraid I'm strongly with the first responder - It's an abstraction

The attack or starting transient - fully characterises the instrument and carries most of the player's expression and individual tone.

[If we swap attacks from one instrument's note to another instrument, listeners will identify the attack instrument as the instrument.]

For many instruments - piano, harpsichord, and percussion, this is followed by the decay. They can't do a continuous tone. If we remove the decay of any instrument, it turns out to be the second most important in identification.

Some instruments can do a continuous middle bit and yes there are harmonics on that, but this part is the least significant in identification of an instrument.

So much for the standard definition of characteristic timbre which needs to be modified.

Beginnings and endings are where it's at.

I was a chorister from age nine, and began soloing by eleven, and one of the sayings has stuck with me - 'If you can't pitch, you can't pitch.' You have to begin right.

All of this has been known since before stereo.

So the ability to launch a note correctly, and transient response are vital to fidelity. Funny that silly old tubes sound kinda right to me.

Fourier is a marginally useful and reductive abstraction. Reductivism can blind us to the target whole.

Hi-fi has to coherently reproduce the leading edges of notes - rarefactions and compressions, sharp positive going 'waves'. And, not add/subtract more reflections than in the originals that reached the mikes.

Diffraction at the speakers is more destructive than most people suppose.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 03/21/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I am afraid I'm strongly with the first responder - It's an abstraction - Timbo in Oz 14:38:40 03/21/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.