Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Low plate resistance vs. reputation for 'good tone".

After trying 26, 27, 01A, paralleled 12AX7, 6SN7's, ECC99, 5687, 6GK5, 12AT7, 12AV7, 6N1P, 6922, Amperex PQ 7119 and many others driving the 300B, the obvious winning choice was the 7119 for me.

10,000 hours rated, sounds great straight out brand new, tone is transparent and true (ECC99 can be a little lean at first and is far less reliable) and stays that way over time. The most neutral-to-shade-warm and non-fatiguing detailed sounding driver I have used for the 300B.

10, 10Y, 801A might be a real good one for DHT depending on 300B used. My 300B was a KR 300B-XLS, which is another neutral-to-slightly-warm tube. With 7119, the sound is sublime with all the advantages of SET and very little disadvantage to PP. With this high current low Rp tube 7119, it would take the detail of the 10 DHT to surpass it IMO, as it also sounds close to a very good DHT. The big 300B likes a strong drive from this kind of tube for best sound I think.

-Kurt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.