Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Audiophiler MKP Cap from Antique Electronics Supply?

There seems to be some confusion here. Hopefully I can clear it up a bit.

RE: " ... Do you think it's a WIMA? I ask because of course WIMA uses the acronym MKP to denote one of their product lines. ..."

"MKP" is just a convenient abbreviation for metalized Polyester/Polypropylene, in other words two common materials for film caps and probably about as informative as things like "HD" i.e: Heavy Duty; High Definition, whatever. Don't read anything into that designation at all.

The Red ones are Chinese made and the brand is "Audiphiler". They are rather ordinary film caps.

Mundorf (Germany) uses the phrase "Audiophiler" in some of their product lines. In this particular case it's Mundorf M-Cap (registered trademark) MKP Series. These caps are marked "Audiophiler Kondensator" which is, not surprisingly, German for "Audiophile Capacitor".

Apparently the Chinese factory chose the German word "Audiophiler", which means in English "Audiophile", as their brand name.

Hope that clears it up. The Mundorfs are considerably better, in my opinion, than the Chinese Audiophilers, and I've heard both in the same circuit.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Audiophiler MKP Cap from Antique Electronics Supply? - Johnny2Bad 16:12:10 09/21/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.