Tube DIY Asylum

RE: Low DCR versus higher inductance chokes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Tube DIY Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

If you want a straight answer, leave this forum immediately and go to diyaudio.com.

There is a group here that views any DCR to be evil, rather than as a parameter which should be optimized to produce a well-behaved power supply. Think of DCR as the struts in your car's suspension - it provides the damping between the interaction of springs and vehicle mass (inductance and capacitance) as it responds to varying forces (currents). Too low of DCR, and the power supply rings at too high of a quality factor, and can add excessive color to the sound under dynamic load conditions (i.e., in a single-ended amplifier). Just like a car bobbing up and down with leaky struts, responding poorly. A low-DCR power supply for low-current applications might sound "full of life", but it's not necessarily the music you will be listening to. This can, and should, all be optimized via simulation - PSUDII is a good starting point.

For more information about filter theory for classical mechanical and electrical systems, check out Olson's Dynamic Analogies - one of the best references on this topic, and one of the most brilliant engineering texts I've encountered.

I'm surprised this debate has survived for so long!

Follow Ups: