Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

"How are you driving those parallel 845s?"

In an interesting but slightly complicated way. Driver is basically a White CF using a 6H30P DR running off both positive and negative supplies. It’s DC coupled to the 845 to get rid of the coupling cap and to drive into A2 on peaks. I get about 75W from the two tubes with very low distortion right up to max power ... very efficient, rivalling PP but sounding way better!

The WCF is in turn driven by a Russian 1578 (6H8 / 6SN7 equiv but better), which is also DC coupled and runs from the same supplies. It is basically a mu follower but with an added choke which provides greater linearity for the high voltage swing needed to drive the 845. Bias for the 845 is set by a pot on this stage. The only cap is between this and the first stage, a Siemens Cca (6922 equiv but better). I've tried IT coupling here but was unimpressed. I aim to revisit this one day with a much better tranny but I'm in no hurry because these (monos) sound better than any commercial amps I've ever tried or DIY I’ve built.

The circuit is my own but I can email you a schematic if you are seriously interested.

Regards,
Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.