Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Guys......

Since there is some similarity between your posts I will try to answer all questions with one post.
From my experience bread boarding a whole bunch of amps with different output tubes and different drivers I know that each output tube has it's own unique sound. You can tweak it and change it a bit, but a 45 will still sound like a 45 and a 845 will still sound more like an 845 than a 45. What I am really saying is that I prefer the basic sound of the 300B to the basic sound of an 845, that's all. All the other things you say are true, but I would rather spend my time trying to improve the sound of an amp that has an output tube I like the sound of. So far for me it's been the 45, the 300B and the 71A. I have bread boarded at least 3 or 4 different 2A3 amps and I never did find one (SE of course) that I liked better than the 45 or 71A for sound.
I haven't tried the 211 yet, and I would like to if I can find a pair that won't put me in the poor house. I may save the two chasis from the 845 with most the parts attached until I can.
I am afraid I don't have a copy of the schem for the 845 I can post. I tried finding it in the archives but the link said it had a lock on it and I don't have the key. It is GroverG's design if any of you are familiar with it. I can tell you it has 10k output trannys and the tubes are 6n7 to el34 to 845. I used russkie teflon coupling caps and some russkie oilers as well. Bias was -145 vdc. B+ was right at 1k.
I guess the bottom line for me is I like the sound of the 300B. Doesn't mean I won't keep trying other amps though. Know anywhere to get a good price on 211's?
Thanks for all the help!
Vince

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.