Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Wow, you copped a hiding on this one ...

so I kinda feel guilty adding to it but I'd like to share a couple of experiences along the lines of what you describe. Years ago I modded some ARC Ref 600 PP amps. One of the first things I did was to add a choke to a simple SS bridge / big C, HT PS. The gain in smoothness was not insignificant. I went on to add a Mosfet regulator to stabilise the HT voltage (for other reasons) and to be honest, it didn't make a great sonic difference.

Down the track I built some 845s and thought I'd try a simple Mosfet Regulator again. I built one exactly as you've described and for the heck of it I wanted to see the difference the regulator made with and without a choke. The choke always helped, though by a smaller margin with the regulator in circuit.

One big warning ... actually a couple if you try this. First, make sure that you ramp the voltage up slowly or you'll wonder why those expensive Mosfets keep blowing up … no matter how much current they'll handle. How do I know this? Well I almost went deaf and blind in the process! BTW, bipolars aren’t any better. Second, you have to take the Mosfet’s input capacitance into account and drive it with a low impedance or you'll lose the highs. Alternatively, (but not ideal) you can bypass the Mosfet with a small C. You'll get back the highs but you'll forego the benefit of HF regulation.

Rgds,
Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.