Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Low Hy? How about no Hy?

In a very comprehensive and detailed article, published in Japan in 1999 and reproduced in Glass Audio the following year, Satoru Kobayahi described a 300B SE stereo amp that uses Plitron toroidal OP and power transformers.

I was interested to see that he used a power MOSFET series regulator in place of the smoothing choke in what would have been a conventional CLC pi-filter.

Essentially, his PS consisted of: toroidal power transformer - SS bridge - 100uF smoothing cap - MOSFET series regulator - 100uF reservoir cap.

For regulation, he had well-bypassed stacked zeners (3 x 150 v) from the MOSFET gate to ground. According to the test voltages written on his schematic, he dropped 33 v across the MOSFET.

His initial objective, in replacing a choke with a MOSFET, was to save money and reduce weight. However, he also reported that the ripple was much less than he could have achieved with a 10H choke. In view of Satoru-san's reputation as a designer and builder, I'm inclined to think that if it's good enough for him then it's good enough for me!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Low Hy? How about no Hy? - Ray Moth 16:16:00 05/05/07 (45)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.