Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

papa's got a brand new bag....

To heck with being frustrated with trying to get the right dividing resistors for the caps says I...... so I did a 180 and went back to working with a cap input filter instead. Much easier! I have a 15uf/1500vdc oiler first cap followed by a 12H/140ohm choke followed by 143uf of cap consisting of 2 rows 4x330uf/400vdc series caps in parallel with 330k/2w dividers. I run out of dvm right at full mains, but the last number I saw was 1020vdc, so I am guessing it is 1030 to 1050, right where I want it. Forgot I had not adjusted the bias from when I was running the amp at 750vdc, after I set that to -145vdc and put in a couple of 400k resistors in series with the anodes of the diodes I am only drawing 1.5 amps on the variac meter at full mains, which is right where psud2 says it should be. No buzz in the choke either. And it sounds good!! Just got a cheap little Sony walkman cd going straight into the amp but it sounds good and has power to spare. I can't wait to hear it with my preamp and turntable. I think I am going to stay with the cap input and tweak from here.
I want to thank all you guys for all the help. I still want to figure out that divider thing for low value caps, just not right away!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - papa's got a brand new bag.... - Vinnie 16:59:31 05/04/07 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.