Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

You aren't alone

There's two minor reasons I started DIY tube gear.

One, it looks cool in the dark, and most people are really not very familiar with the equipment, so they are captivated by the sight.

Two, I can sit back and say, "I built that!" Sure, it's easy to go out and buy this or that audio equipment, tube or SS. But so much pleasure comes from the fact that my blood sweat and tears went into the amp (and speakers).

But, of course, if it were only these two motivators, I would have stuck with off the shelf SS. My experience was similar to yours, in that I got my P-P EL34 completed, and it was full of problems (RF, 60Hz pickup, imbalance, poor room size, crappy speakers). Regardless of all these fighting against me, I was hearing things I never heard before.

I'm not talking about the times you install a new $2000 car stereo system, and you hear some bells in the background you never knew were there. NO, NO.

I'm talking about hearing the pick snap off the guitar string. Hearing the transient and follow up decay of a cymbal strike. Hearing the texture of the Jew's Harp in the Who's "Join Together". Hearing the bass harmonica in Simon & Garfunkel's "The Boxer"- it actually forces a smile on your face.

From there, the fixes and tweaks were completed, and things just got better. All this with poor speakers, single electrolytic in the tweeter path.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.