Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Not Making It On Your Own

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I have in the past read the audio hell article and it is, for the most part, the way I audition and develop my own gear. However my point may have been slightly lost. Yours has been stated clearer. I don't doubt you think the way of your development to be the best and beyond a general hobbyist and for the given example, that probably is true. Where we part is the absoluteness of your statement that your way is "the best" way and that therefore a hobbyist doesn't have access to say ... a transformer winder with the same passion for his magnetics as you do. Might not be the exact same recipe but another, that has been through just as rigorous development as yours.

All your development means is that your item meets the math (and I suppose audio criteria) you set out. As we all know, anything you make is a compromise. That's life. You might be taking a low compromise route but it is there. It has to be. you are developing a SET circuit. That doesn't mean someone else can't have their own goal and reach it in a different way. Their goal might have a higher bar :-)

What you seem to be saying is something very similar to what say Audio Consulting say in their mantra. If you think you have the ultimate solution, good for you but I find it difficult to accept you have beyond anything anyone else can do. Now the average hobbyist, fair enough but there are some pretty extreme people out there.

As you can see, I have a real issue with absolute statements because in this game, there are none.

Thanks for the invite. Was down that way seeing my dentist last weekend :-)

cheers,

Stephen

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.