Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Making It On Your Own

Dear 01A,

The owner would be John White and the pre-amplifier in question would have been the old power supply version of the M8Line which is 4 or more years old, not the M10Line, of which there are none in New Zealand, new or secondhand, (I know where every single unit sold is, and not one has ever been on the market second hand) just so you know.

Your comment about making DIY products that are superior to anything (even the very best) made by any commercial enterprise is interesting, because it assumes a number of things which are not as simple as they may look, because unlike in cooking, where you have a fairly well based set of recipies and rules for how ingredients combine, audio is a somewhat different kettle of fish and the complexities of combining different circuits with suitable valves and power supplies and then voicing the end result with parts which have a complimentary character is no small job.

In fact I would suggest that it is more than a full time job and takes very considerable expertise in not just circuit topology, power supply and transformer design, but also in the material sciences, not a cheap hobby overall if you are to do what you claim is possible.

I think I can justifiably claim to have the largest available selection of quality parts and materials at my disposal and I can tell you that no hobbyist anywhere could afford even a small percentage of the stock needed to make a single M10Line let alone have the necessary knowledge to create the maths that made the totally unique and innovative power supply possible (we have been awarded two patents on this power supply sofar, with more to come), so whilst I totally agree with you that as a knowledgeable hobbyist one can make some very decent sounding kit making something that is "the best" is not within reach.

I have the greatest respect for the DIY community and wish it well, but promoting the idea that you can voice your way past certain levels of quality is to delude yourself and whilst that is certainly in the ethos of the age we live in, I object to it in principle.

Sincerely,
Peter Qvortrup

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.