Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: What does it do? + $0.02

Well, as you know, the more the AC control is limited to that of the control grid the more the tube is acting like a triode and therefore ideally, the diode limits the screen's AC interaction with the plate, so the output doesn't contain AC signal from screen involvement, either by its modulating the electron flow through the vacuum , or through its wired connection to the plate. In power tubes it might be even more important to find the right value of screen load resistor as well. What you're shooting for is to get a drop that puts the screen at the potential the space it occupies would be at if the screen wasn't there - making it electrically invisible.
I played around with it for a couple of years (yikes, time is passing `,;^() using smaller pentodes as linestage amps. The difference between with and without was easy to hear.
I eventually turned to other stuff and now am getting into DHT's (listening to a 46 pre as we write this) which I think is awesome, but I wouldn't write off the exploration of triode strapping multi grid tubes. If the natural desire to explore them is there, I can't see any reason why a really great sounding amp couldn't emerge from the experimentation. My guess (and it IS a guess) is that the best results may come from tubes without internally connected grids , like the KT66, so that you could try different configs at different potentials. Some people have written papers on it, but I haven't read anything by anybody who has actully invested the time to perfect it. I don't really have the inclination myself, (mostly because ALL my work gets done on the kitchen table and this project would take a LOT of trying and retrying) but I kind of hope Danl does`,;^) It would be neat to see that all those bazillions of unloved pentodes out there suddenly hold promise.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.