Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

DHTs and Aikido

Andy, because Rune asked about Aikido, I would add that I have built an Aikido stage using DHTs without resorting to DC on the filaments. AC hum on the filaments of the DHTs cancels in the Aikido circuit. In my implementation the microphonics were under control too, which I believe to be another cancellation effect.

AC on filaments should be easier to implement than the various DC ideas. However, there is easier and there is easy -- the rub is that you need separate AC filament sources for each DHT in the circuit (I have used separate hum pots with each, too). My experiments have been with 26s, for which four 1.5v sources are needed. I have self wound a little toroid to see if there is a cheap and relatively easy way to get four separate 1.5v power sources. Not yet tested it in circuit.

Rune asked about the sound. Like any proud papa, I like my invention, and have listened to it daily as a headphone amp for five months. But, I cannot offer a comparison of anything else to it, other than my earlier attempts. It is better than any my earlier implementations of headphone amps.

Steve Root

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • DHTs and Aikido - Perseo 04:06:15 04/29/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.