Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

DC amps still need AC grounding.

Hi.

I know where you come from. This is very common sorta misunderstanding btween signal return reference "ground", & actual electrical "earth" ground, or whatever yu can put it.

You're correct for audio amps DC powered, as long as the signal in & return circuit is completed, the amp functions.

But if the amp is working in an EMI/RFI noisy environment, like in many modern homes today, where tons of computers, notebooks, flat panel TVs are all over the place, the poor amp is subject to HF rash.

So metal chassis of the amp still needs to be earth grounded so that the harmful RF energies can be drained away via the earth path as per my post above despite the in/out signal circuit is completed.

As I posted earlier this week, my SS phonostage, a dual-monaural stereo design, full battery powered, still got its plastic housing full laminated with aluminum foil, which is AC grounded to the turntable chassis ground wire as well as the ground rod of the tube phonostage/line amp where the SS phonostage unit hooked up to its "
AUX" input.

EACH of the I/P jacks of the SS phonstage unit is AC grounded to the plastic housing aluminum foil shield via a 0.1uF3KV ceramic disc cap,
an excellent potential RF rash short-cut from the amp return reference ground.

c-J

bot

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • DC amps still need AC grounding. - cheap-Jack 09:28:06 04/28/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.