Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: That won't work

Inside the chassis, the shield only needs to be grounded at one end (or in the middle somewhere). This is low frequency energy; wavelengths are very long and a few inches of conductor looks like an infinitely small point.

Perhaps the main difficulty using shields inside the chassis is the need to be sure they don't touch anything. They need to be routed and secured to prevent shorts. Equipment manufacturers in the '50s and '60s somethimes use a single, hollow shield tube to route filament wires from the rear (where the power transformer is typically located) to the front of the chassis. This helped minimize hum pickup by the low-level stages. The shield tube was usually secured by longish solder lugs riveted to the chassis. The lugs would be wrapped around the tube and soldered.

I use shielded cable myself sometimes, but it's a nuisance. For filaments, I nearly always use twisted pair as Ron suggested.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: That won't work - Triode_Kingdom 06:49:05 04/28/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.