Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

"That is why anything with a metal case...

needs an three wire plug by law."

I don't understand all the electrical laws in every state and region and every country as well.

But, I have a CD player that has an all metal case and has the obligatory three wire plug, but it only uses hot and neutral inside the box. The ground connection is unconnected. The manufacturer passes the law by double insulating the mains on the wires going to the power transformer primaries even with a metal case. They just add another layer of plastic insulation over the standard mains wire. Apparently, this is good enough by today's electrical codes.

The output signals of the CD player appear to be just floating. I guess the outer box is connected to circuit common. When connected to an amp that has its circuit common connected to Earth ground, then the whole system is shielded by ground potential.

It sounds best to have only one box grounded to Earth ground to avoid ground loops. Apparently it can still be done legally. My CD player is an Ayre, made today in the USA, and I know they know what they're doing.

Kurt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.