Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

You May Have a 5 volt Secondary

Jerry,

I don't know if the DRDs (including the Star Chief) use a standard DRD power transformer. But if they do, you might have a solution if you want to try a CMC.

What I am thinking is this:

My DRD 45s were tube rectified. Thus they have a 5volt 2 amp tap for the 5ar4. I am in the process of upgrading them to Star Chief (solid state rectified and regulated) so the 5 volt secondary won't be needed anymore. It could be used instead of the 2.5 volt secondary to heat the 45 tube. Currently I just have those leads taped off.

A 1 ohm choke drop + a few drop resistors could fine tune the voltage. It could also cause extra heat in the chassis so be aware of that.

Now I don't know if your amps have the 5 volt secondary, but if they do you would have enought headroom to try a few interesting heater approaches.

I am also going to try a pair of Tentlabs regulated current source Heater Supplies that I have in my parts drawer forever on my DRDs.

In the meantime I added a few drop resistors to fine tune my heater voltage to 2.45 volts AC.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.