Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Chassis ground vs. source signal ground?

Most modern electronics use a line filter on the AC line input, usually built into the IEC male connector on the panel. Among other filter components, there will be a capacitor from each power connection (Line and Neutral) to chassis ground. If the filtered input connector has a third prong (Ground), the small 60 Hz current through those capacitors returns through the ground wire. With a two-prong connector, or with a suicide-adapter on the three-prong power cord at the wall outlet, the metallic chassis has a Thevenin equivalent of 120/2 = 60 Vac in series with a small capacitor (a few nF), which can indicate 60 Vac into a 1 Megohm or greater AC voltmeter. With a bad power ground connection, I once felt this voltage when my hand bridged the gap between a test-equipment chassis and the metal heating duct over my workbench.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Chassis ground vs. source signal ground? - TimRFox 05:07:15 04/26/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.