Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Best scope for audio hobby use?

Ebay can be hit and miss, but there are big bargains to be found as well.

One thing I've done is look for test equipment that is near enough to you to drive and pick them up. This strategy is especially good for big items like Tektronix 7000-series mainframes; often people don't want to pay hunderds of dollars to ship them, so they don't get bid up as much.

I recently got a perfectly functional 7854 analog/digital mainframe plus a scopemobile cart this way for $50. Another $100 or so for some plug-ins (they go cheap on ebay) and a couple new knobs and I have a very nice scope.

But you have to be willing to risk the money that the scope won't work, because most of them are untested and have no guarantee. Then again, at $50 each, you could buy several until you get a good one...

Definitely 100MHz is about the minimum you want, because one of the reasons you need a scope is to make sure there's no RF oscillations going on (which I've seen at or even above 100MHz).

If you want something smaller that a 7000-series monster, the 2235 is decent "modern" analog scope, and the older 475 is good as well. You can even get these that are guaranteed working for $300-400 "buy it now".

Pete

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Best scope for audio hobby use? - Pete Millett 12:52:58 04/24/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.