Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Drastic measures in Desparate Times.........(long)

I love my "Big Kahauna" 300B/2A3 amp. I mean its got the sound I really like. It's a 417A IT coupled parafeed 300B/2A3 with Silver secondaries in the OPT's. Tube rectified with CLCLC (OilCaps)PS filtering and DC filaments. All copper buzz ground planeand Silver hookup wire.
Its just got this hiss in the volume control that increases as I turn up the volume.at 12 o'clock it really noisey. I've been getting by with cranking my preamp up and keeping the amp volume low. That works but some of my less efficent speakers don't get full loud but OK. Anyway I want this amp to be as quite as my other amps.
But I can't tame the HISS!
I tried as Eli suggested shielding the volume control and using shielding over the 5VAC and Hi-volt AC with a little success but not enough. I even considered removing the tube rectifier and using SS devices mounted at the rear away from all inputs. ( I know BAD Design planning, but it looked so cool with the Rectifier right up front).
Desperation !
So the plan is to move the rectifier to the rear of the amp, by mounting a frame for a single socket for the rectifier. It might look goofey .........But wish me luck!

Have fun!
Willie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Drastic measures in Desparate Times.........(long) - drummerwill 14:42:48 04/23/07 (19)

You can not post to an archived thread.