Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: That '22 mH' choke may have an inductance of 22 mH at 10 KHz, but not at 120 Hz.

>>So, to the real questions: do we want our ps chokes to work at frequencies higher than 120Hz? How much higher? What kind of choke do we need for that?<<

Dave asks EXCELLENT questions. I think the answer lies in the particular service placement of a choke. An inductance that's stable up to 500 Hz. rates to be fine in choke I/P or pseudo-choke I/P service. The ripple waveform is or very nearly is a sine wave. Filtering out overtones of the ripple fundamental is not particularly necessary. OTOH, a voltage doubler using LARGE caps. in the stack exhibits a HIGHLY triangular waveform (SMALL conduction angle). The amount of ripple freq. overtones here is substantial and the choke following the doubler stack is the defense against the "hash". The inductance needs to be stable to fairly high freqencies.

Eli D.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: That '22 mH' choke may have an inductance of 22 mH at 10 KHz, but not at 120 Hz. - Eli Duttman 15:15:04 04/21/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.