Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Jeff's low initial C PS ideas may not be entirely novel ...

I did not have the impression that anyone thought that using an initial cap of under 2uf in a power supply was novel. I thought that was well known in the standard texts we use, and has been discussed lots of times on this forum. If that cap is below 2 uf more or less, the power supply behaves like a choke input supply, but above 2uf more or less it jumps to acting like a cap input supply (higher voltages).

I have used the quasi choke approach in a number of experiments. If you decide to go with the quasi-choke approach, the ability to select an initial cap between say .01 and 2.0 uf lets you dial in a B+ voltage over a pretty wide range. This is handy when using salvaged transformers.

I once asserted on this forum without having done my homework that that initial cap might reduce the stress on the choke (given that many of us use chokes that were not designed for service as the input in an LC power supply). If memory serves, someone (Henry P I think) posted with much deeper insight that this assumption is not necessarily true.

Jeff's more novel claim is for a low L initial choke, with or without the low C in front of it.

Steve Root

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.