Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

mac mc240 rebuild

I have been getting emails about mc240s a lot lately and I thought id post a photo of what Ive done to mine so far..You can see the obvious in the vitaman Q caps and the muse caps for the cathode bypass and the k40s for the phase splitter.
I have 40 of the NOS twist locs for the doubler and they sound fine and they are the Nippon chemicon but the panasonic ce I put in for the doubler is accolades better than the twist locs which are 350uf each total and the panasonic are 820uf each..The 820uf panasonics made such a phenominal difference over anything I had in there that it was uncanny..The bass was to die for and the midrange was spooky and iry.Im going to be putting in the F&t or JJ dual 100@500v or one of each down stream but I have extra decoupling capacitance for now and this amp responds well with it.
Jim mcshane actually has every part you need from the inrush limiter to the filter caps to the diodes to the muse caps for the cathode and the pios you have to source on your own and those are a must in these amps as these make about 65% of initial improvements but just going on mcshane's site and looking at the way he built the citation 5 or the cit 2 and if you transfer the ideas to the mc240,it will be killer.Again I cant believe the difference the extra decoupling capacitance and the panasonic doubler caps made.The 100Uf muses also add to the dimension..Im working on the other down stream caps today.
Also you will notice that it frees up a ton of room so you add a motor run cap in parallel with the doublers and the other caps once removed,you can neatly put in place the added decoupling capacitance.Its a must.I cant belive how the citation 2 and 5 mods work in this amp.
When I put the filter caps in,I use goop which is a strong rtv and that way if you ever want to reverse what you did and go back to original twist locs,you can without doing any damage..Im also putting in a buss bar..I havent seen them on chrome chasis much as I have like the citations and heath amps but Im sure it will work great.
Have fun!
Mike

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - mac mc240 rebuild - Michael Samra 04:45:34 04/20/07 (6)

You can not post to an archived thread.