Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Yes, but no cigar yet.

Hi.

I said the whole phonostage is housed in a PLASTIC case as contrary to conventional metal housing.

Why? I want to prove something. A very expensive line of audio amps, made in Germany, are all housed in cases built with acrylic type plastic sheets. Per the owner/designer, non-metal housings sound better than metal housing. He used various methods of layouts of the PCBs to provide the shielding needed.

So I borrow his idea but the small plastic equipment box does not provide any room to play around with the PCB layouts. I did it the tedeous way - I laminated ALL the interior surfaces of the box with
aluminum foil wrap (cheapie from any grocery stores), & then
insulated it with clear box tape.

The tricky part is how to ground each of the two mono phono amps to the aluminum foil shield of the housing, & then to the external grounding of the turntable.

Mind you, the electrical reference 'ground' of each channel is separated from each other to achieve true monaural format as each channel is powered with its own battery supply.

c-J

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.