Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

90% of hum gone but why???

As some of you know, (and were kind enough to give me advice), I was having a hum problem with my DIY SV83 amp. On and off for the last week and a half I have been unsoldering and resoldering every ground wire on this amp. I have tried every groud scheme I know of and all the variations I have read about on this forum to no avail. I tried adding capacitance to the filter and tried different filter configurations also but this didn't help either. Today I noticed that when I tied the safety ground to the circuit ground the hum increased but I had no idea why. Disregarding this I proceeded to install a hum pot in the filament circuit just for the heck of it. So I ground the wiper to circuit ground and I then tie safety ground to circuit ground and 90% of the hum disappears. The thing is I don't have a clue why and was wondering if any of you with lots more experience than me could tell me why this happened. Listening through a 105db horn I can't hear any hum at a distance of maybe 1 foot from the speaker now. I used to be able to hear it from a listening position 6 feet away! By the way, adjusting the hum pot has absolutely no effect on the remaining hum. Thanks,
Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - 90% of hum gone but why??? - breadhead 15:32:43 04/15/07 (4)

You can not post to an archived thread.