Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: silicon rectifiers

Hi

Yes I have notice that bass is noticeably tighter when I use a plug in SS rectifier, in truth the whole sound stage is noticeably tightened up. Background noise is increased to a slight high pitched buzz just above the normally very quiet background I have achieved in my amp, not detectable without placing ear next to speaker though. I have added snubbing caps from rect anodes and cathode to the reservoir common point but this has little effect on this buzz. PSU is quasi choke input with only 1.25 uF res cap and 6H choke followed by a second 32 uf cap 1H choke and finally a 200uF cerafine cap. Remember them?
There is a latching relay switch to give manual B+ switch on that is fail safe so that if the mains quits for a minute or two the B+ is disconnected until I trigger the relay again this to allow use of DH rects like 5U4 and of course SS cos we don't want 600 plus volts to appear before the tubes draw current. This is a hazard of choke input!

SS kinda goes against the grain though doesn't it but if it suits well.... ;o)

Al

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.