Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Your bypass C's

i wonder why people have never looked at the converse of this which is what happens at high frequency? (particularly wrt iron)

what follows is probably OT so apologies in advace.

to be flat from 20-20K as you state (on a first order) a tranformer must deliver 2-200K bandwidth. People always seem to chase the low end striving for F3 of say 5hz but readily accept a -f3 of 40Khz which should still leave you -.1dB at 4khz.

If we consider transformers in general "fixed bandwidth devices" in order to gain an octave on the bottom you need to lose an octave on the top. Obviously different people have different perspectives on this. Looking at the plots for much of the japanese iron (tango tamura hashimoto) a -2dB point of 20hz is often listed and this comes with an extended frequency response on the top end. Listed -2dB points of 20 and 80K are not uncommon, and this must be a conscious choice since those numbers could easily be converted to 10 and 40Khz.

I'm not exactly sure what my point is other than i have always noticed this and found it to be interesting.

dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.