Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Sort of

The most common source of DC is galvanic action on the grounding system, such that the bond at the utility xfmr is at a different DC potential than the bond at your service entrance. Battery action takes place between the two probes, with the earth's resistivity in between.

There are a number of possible sources for this potential, some measurable and proven, others more esoteric. Who cares for this discussion.

Regardless, this is different from what I believe you are trying to measure. I would say the chances of having DC between hot and neutral are slim to none, if all wiring is correct. There is a slim and rare chance that half wave rectification imposes a little DC, but that is miniscule and of no concern in today's full wave world.

DC between neutral and ground is probably also unlikely, as your neutral should be solidly bonded back at your service entrance. The ground currents identified above could impose some DC current back to the utility service, but that would not affect your downstream utilization equipment.

I agree your meter is probably rectifying the AC to measure as DC, and would say there is no way you have true 11VDC. Stray currents, geomagnetic fields might impose a few mV of DC, but again, affect is small.

What is your concern? Regarding audio equipment, 99% of it is transformer derived power supply, and is unaffected by DC.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.