Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Impulse Purchase (Piltron 1250 ohm PP 400W) output transformers

With such a large amplifier, I think it would be foolish to go with non standard tubes, as it's very likely you'll be changing them now and again, and it would be nice to have something easily available! (quick trip to the guitar store beats waiting weeks of mail order when a tube shorts out!) Plate caps and unusual sockets should be ruled out, because of safety, and also, if you have octal sockets it's much easier to substitute tubes if necessary.

My first choice would be 6L6GC's, operated with the highest possible plate voltage (~500V), and regulated screen grids, at a somewhat lower voltage (~300V) Six tubes per channel would give you more power than you'll really ever need, unless you have either a huge room or very inefficient speakers. I would use local negative feedback around the 6L6's, and another loop from the seconday of the output transformer. This will give you a nice tight damping factor, and lower the distrotion nicely too.

As for power supply, well, it's down to preference I guess. With this much power it would be cheapest to use a bridge rectified SS power supply, but I would go for paralleled 5U4s, or something of the like, connected to a choke input power supply.

This will be an interesting project any way you go!!

P.S. EL34 would be another good choice!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Impulse Purchase (Piltron 1250 ohm PP 400W) output transformers - maxhifi 14:02:54 04/01/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.