Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

AES mono block kit

Just finished the Antique Electronics Supply K501 mono block 8 watt tube kit. It works! Its the same as the one from S5. In fact it has S5 on the PCB.
Question for those more knowledgeable than I. I plan to made a box for this out of some exotic hardwood I have laying around and some brass sheet. I build a 'desk' out of some dowel rods and soldered the caps etc on the bottom. I will mount the PCB under the brass sheet with stand offs and holes for the tubes. Only the tubes and smaller resistors are top mounted. For this build up I placed the tranformers as per instructions.
However, when I place them in the box I will make can I mount them vertically instead of horizonally? In other words the mounting flanges will be on the sides of the box, inside. I read "ouch" site in siteswithstyle.com about the k-12m stereo version of this same amp. Their the writer shows some differences in repsonse depending on the angle of the output transformer. Will changing from Hor. to Vert also make a difference?

Also, I previously posted some questions about this subject before I got the kit. I read the article from Rane Inc. about y or Wye not. Good idea and I will make one of these boxes if I build the stereo version for use with a mono output. However, what about the input? Would I need the same thing? For today I used a Dynaco PAT4 to feed in the CD player and switched it so mono with only one RCA input on the AMP. Can I Y connect an input signal? The Rane article talked about only using a y-connector to split a signal out never in. However, no CD player I know of gives up a switch to mono. Do I need to make a 'Rane' box for the input?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - AES mono block kit - joetech 21:37:01 03/31/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.