Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Dave,

It's because a lot of people will do dumb things in the heat of excitement.  You've seen it happen a hundred times on these very fora.  I actually got scolded back in the day for bidding early, potentially driving up the price. I don't want to get in a bidding war with some emotional type who'll drive the price up out of my range, and then stiff the seller when he comes to.

Poinz's rools; Cruise the auctions for the (laptop/tuner/2A3) you're looking for, keeping a list of the auction numbers in a .txt file on the desktop (not at the 'bay) with brief descriptions and ending time.  Go back and look at them once in awhile and see if idiots are bidding them up, if the BIN has been excercised, etc.  When there's an hour to go, look again, and then again at five minutes.  You're still interested, go log out and back in again (this is important), and go back to the auction, refreshing the page every minute or so.  If it still looks a bargain at one minute, go fill in the actual max you're willing to pay for it, not some pinch amount.  Keep refreshing the page, and if it still looks good at thirty seconds, start counting in your head, get down there and make sure your bid is still filled in, go the verify page. At ten seconds or so, pull the trigger.

Go back and see what happened.  No hard feelings, no bidding wars, no remorse at having bid too skinchy and lost; you either got the piece at your good price (sometimes substantially less) or somebody got it at a price you were unwilling to pay anyway; go look at the next one in the list.  I like the 'bay; I've hardly ever had a negative experience there, and they were at least partially my fault.

Aloha,

Poinz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.