Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Good argument.

Hi.

RHD4 stated in "Input impedance & Miller Effect":-

"The total input capacitance also includes the capacitance from grid to cathode plus (A+1) times ANY stray capacitance from grid TO plate".

My interpretation is ANY stray capacitance from grid TO plate (not between grid and plate) also includes capacitance of the hook-up wires etc etc.

"Stray capacitance" is defined as "Undesirable capacitance btween circuit wires, btween wires & chassis, or between components and the chassis of the electronic equipment".

Correct me if I were incorrect.

The whole idea is to minimize any stray capacitance added to the grid circuit. Coaxial cable is a ready source of stray capacitance.
I would use only twisted pair withOUT any overall shield from the I/P jack to the triode grid. ALL my SS & tube phonostages never ever use any shielded signal cables.

Technically, the inter-conductor capacitance of a tightly twisted pair of wires of EQUAL size & IDENTICAL material is around 5pF, but the conductor-to-shield capacitance is in the order of some 40pF for EACH conductor, depending on the distance btween conductor & the shield.

For a coaxial cable, C=7.36xe/(log10 D/d) where e is the dielectric constant of the conductor insulation, D is the overall diameter of the insulation & d is the diameter of the conductor.

As Mark said it right, too much shielding capactance can only ruin the sound. This is the very reason I step away from any wire shielding.

For really EMI/RFI noisy environment, use a 100% metal chassis.

c-J

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Good argument. - cheap-Jack 07:50:01 03/29/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.