Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Use 12 gauge with a bypass wire

Think in dynamic terms, not static measurements !!

There are tremendously high short term peak instantaneous transients that can pass through heavy gauge wire, as part of the music.

If on a BUDGET and you want to keep the signal intact dynamically, use about 12 gauge, bypassed with a single strand of, say, 30 gauge, something like the Continuous Cast wire Dennis Boyle offers. I use this C.C. bypass wire with surplus 12 gauge solid silver stranded aircraft wire for B+. I use two or three paralleled runs of TCSS Kimber in spots too.

I have been modding a HF-81 Eico of late, and have been doing these experiments every night this past week, listening to wire in various locations - on a 98 dB modded JBL D123 speaker on open baffle - which is very revealing of such changes.

I now think internal wiring is one thing MOST amp designs totally get wrong, IF you want to maintain full dynamics and bandwidth. A one mA static draw tube stage does best with about a TEN Ampere wire capability, if you wanna catch the whole envelope dynamically and also have it wide band in response.

Flamers and conventional thinkers, you may now start your engines.

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.