Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Oxymorons Galore! Wow, all electro's suck, is that it?

Limited experience BUT I have used OSCONs and Blackgates.

OSCONs - Good for power supply rail caps. They have one really bad characteristic. They have zero overvoltage tolerance and they blow short. I had a nasty experience when using them as cathode bypasses in a cathode bias EL84 Push Pull Amp - caps blew and I suddenly had no bias and very orange tube anodes.

BLACKGATES
BG Standard - Good for power supply rail caps and for cathode bypasses etc. When used as a power supply cap to a SS diffamp frontend I found that putting a parallel Polyphenylene Sulphide (PPS) cap of 1/100th value still gave a noticable performance lift (top end).

BG NX (Non Polarised) - good for signal coupling but very limited voltage rating.

BG N - I tried these for the diffamp rail cap referenced above and did not feel that the extra money was worth it. In a lot of ways I preferred the BG Standard. On the other hand I have a 70W SS Power Amp which uses a bootsrapped VAS load and tha N was definitely superior to the Standard as a bootstrap cap (signal coupling). I also tried 2 off BG N "Super E" connected (reverse parallel)in the bootstrap duty and could'nt notice any improvement over a single N of twice the value.

BG FK and PK - Ive used these as cathode bypasses and also as a Vbe multiplier bypass in a SS power amp. They were great in both cases.

I also tried the "Muse" caps in the SS Amp as the bootstrap cap and they had a lovely sound (rich harmonic structure) BUT their noise level was really noticable compared to any of the BG solutions and I took them out.

Also tried "Gold Tunes" but they did'nt come close to BG Standard.

All my cathode bias tube amps use Blackgate Standards for bypasses. Ditto for Bias supply filters in fixed bias tube amps.

Hope there is something of use amoungst these ramblings

Cheers,
Ian

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.