Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Bypass caps, a little more information...You sure about that?...

"DA is an inherent property of the dielectric AND construction."
Construction plays little role in DA. Refer to the articles by Pease and now Sencore courtesy of Jim McShane. Nowhere do they consider ANYTHING except dielectric materials as the primary factor in DA.

"As i understand it, if you took the capacitor and unrolled it, what you would end up with is are two long strips, separated by the dielectric, with the electrodes connected either at one end, or the middle."
Although many caps consist of "rolled" construction, end terminations are almost never done as you describe: inductance would be problematic.

"So, the problem with DA really has to do with the fact that some of the material is physically and electrically closer to the electrodes than the rest. You can eliminate DA by making all of the dielectric be equally spaced from the conductor. This is unfortunately, impossible."
If I understand you assertion correctly (and I may not) caps employing your "ideal" construction exist and are readily available and still have DA issues. One term for them is "stacked film" IIRC. In some respects these caps could be considered a physically large # of small caps in parallel...and they still possess significant DA if made of something like polyester. So much for parallelling to get rid of DA.

Capacitors have been around a very long time and like most objects of human endeavor, have reached a very high level of development. If parallelling caps could reduce DA, commercial designs would have incorporated some version of it decades ago...but they haven't and DA is still with us.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.