Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: How do you intend to maintain identical currents

I intend to use the 421A also designated the 5998. This is a dual triode in a single envelope. I intend to use each tube as its own PP pair. It is my hope that the two triodes in the tube will age at the same rate. I will use a dual triode driver stage, preferably direct coupled but possibly transformer coupled.

I will have to make periodic measurements on the cathodes to make sure bias voltage doesn't drift but I can see no way, short of using two separate current sources on the plates, to ensure that each tube draws the same current. Although this would seem a way to control both total current and the current of each stage, I have been warned off by others builders who told me I cannot have a current source both on the anode and cathode. I am not sure why this is. I have spoken to other builders who built self adjusting servo circuits but I am not that experienced a designer to craft one. As to the current source, I will have to use one capable of handling the probable 250 ma on the joined cathodes so I may use a a FET with a substantial heat sink. A smaller current source on the driver tube will suffice.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: How do you intend to maintain identical currents - ChasLieb 12:54:51 03/23/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.