Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Cap Bypass ?'s

CP
Bypassing electrolytics with some small value is as useless as tits on a bull.Some concede to the theory that its stops ringing at ertain frequencies but if you have a ringing electrolytic you better change it and not worry about bypassing.
Bypassing a polypro in a cathode bypass is fine or in a speaker network.Anywhere you are not filtering a small value bypass can have a positive affect.
Getting back to electrolytics,I bypass the ones in my mac mc60s but Im doing it with a 100uf solen and a 51uf solen on each side of the choke..This way the solens are doing most of the work because of their dominant nature and the electros are just being held for storage of energy when needed.
Yes you can bypass the solen with a smaller pio and you will get great results..Many of my speakers are setup like that and I use .1 pio bypasses everywhere in the crossover or in a cathode bypass.
You will notice companies like audio research that put a 15uf cap in their preamp output stage as in the sp6b,are bypassing it with a .47uf cap because there is lots of inductance in larger value caps and this helps reinsert the mids and high frequencies from loss in the larger caps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Cap Bypass ?'s - Michael Samra 12:34:48 03/23/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.