Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Mark me down as up for being banished

I use black gates in my phono PSU. I thought them (the ones I used, not all of them) better than the metallised film caps I was using for ages, straight out of the box. I've never noticed them "going off", breaking in or some other thing any more or less than other stuff. Some parts need break in but I bet the bigger effect is the listener getting used to it.

I've found the more natural the system has got, the less it needs to "break in" when I've been away for a while. I think this adjustment we make is an indicator not of how sensitive the system is but how sensitive we are and how far the system has drifted from what is "right" for us.

Gear needs warming up to sound at its best and I really don't see how any one component esp a capacitor can be seperated from the rest of it. The human condition is a way bigger factor IMHO. i.e. if you expect to hear the BGs going off, forming or whatever, you will. Peace of mind in the parts you use has a bigger influence than the reality IMHO.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.