Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Many to choose from!

Between myself and friends we have owned and compared ASL, Lehmann, Minimax, Stax and others (including pro mixers like Mackie, Yamaha).

Synergy is the key. Headphone amp output (type and total power) and headphone load (impedance) can affect sound. Bear this in mind when you go auditioning and buying.

I prefer tubed amps. My current beast is a well-run-in, modified ASL MG OTL 32 DT Version 1 [12AU7 inputs, 6BQ5 outputs (capacitatively coupled), tube rectified]. Their current version appears to be running 6DJ8 inputs, although (in typical ASL manner) nowhere is this stated. MG OTL 32 DT can also be used as a straight pre-amp with two outputs.

Out of the box with standard tubes, original internal wiring and coupling caps (Chinese PIO), it sounded congested, lethargic and lacking detail. In went Auricaps, audiophile signal cable and NOS tubes. Loooong running in period followed. Now it produces lucid, accurate, dynamic, detailed music! With these mods, it comes highly recommended, paired up with AKG K701 cans. The AKG's require an even longer running-in period but are definitely worth the wait. IMHO they represent the current state of the art in dynamic cans.

Good luck!
spindrifter

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Many to choose from! - spindrifter 03:03:46 03/20/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.