Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Pentode Driver, SE output, and high frequencies???

A bright sound isn't necessarily a result of tilted frequency response. In fact, I'd expect virtually any tube in this application to have fr tremendously flat compared to other parts of the system. Attempting to fix a bright sound by bleeding off high frequency is, in my opinion, not the way to nirvana; it's a band-aid that attempts to cover a different problem. Better to fix the problem that to try to hide it.

So what is the problem? I dunno. Could be the 717A is just not the tube for you in this application. You might try different operating points.

It could be you have some high frequency oscillations going on. Stopper resistors on the screen and/or grid might fix everything. Try a couple of k ohm on the screens right at the socket. A couple hundred ohms at the grids might also be necessary.

If those things don't get you where you want to be, then if I were in your position I'd look for a different tube. :)

-- Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.