Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Lowering Gain on Aikido Preamp

Folks:

I recently finished building my Aikido preamp, using Bas Horneman's PCBs. That project turned out very well -- a two chassis preamp with remote control. The sound, though, is the most amazing thing: a crisp, refined soundstage, terrific resolution, airy and yet just a tinge of tube warmth. Lovely. At some point I'll post a more public appreciation for all of the people who helped me along the way, but I want to spend more time listening to the Aikido first.

There is, though, one issue that I still need some help with: I'm using a Mikkel Simonsen (Dantimax) remote control system that provides 63 dB worth of attenuation, but music is still audible at the attenuator's lowest setting. I'm using a complement of 6N1P / 6H30N-EP tubes in the Aikido boards, and I'd like to lower the volume by another 6 or 12 dB. My question is, am I better off swapping out a tube for something with lower gain or inserting a resistor (or a T-pad) in-line at the preamp's input or output? Cost is not a concern -- not adversely affecting the quality of the sound is. Bas hesitently suggested a lower gain tube such as the 6CG7 in lieu of the 6N1P, but admitted that he wasn't sure and recommended that I pose this question on AA. So here we are.

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Scott

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Lowering Gain on Aikido Preamp - SRMcGee 05:41:55 03/16/07 (10)

You can not post to an archived thread.