Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Contemplated Speakers

I've been investigating dipoles with 10, 12, and 15-inch drivers and about 97dB efficiency recently. Yes, this is radically different than the Ariels and ME2's, which were based on the best drivers I could get in 1993, when they were designed. Unfortunately, the Scan-Speak 9000 is no longer available, and I have some reservations about the successor drivers. Similarly, as mentioned by another poster, the 5.5" Vifa no longer represents the best available midrange - although most midranges of "exotic" construction still have very ragged response curves.

Some of the bigger prosound drivers - 18Sound, Beyma, B&C - have some interesting large-format midrange/midbass drivers that look promising for dipole use. I hear rumors of interesting large-format drivers from Hemp Acoustics in Canada, so I'm looking into those too.

I'm persona non grata in horn circles these days, so my comments about horns will probably count for nothing. That doesn't stop me from liking the products from Azzalino and Cogent, the best I've heard so far, although with very different personalities.

As for my own designs, high-efficiency dipoles are the direction I intend to go - and the recent discovery about DHT's being *very* sensitive to filament voltage (about a 1% wide window) has kind of put more amplifier research off to the side for the moment.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Contemplated Speakers - Lynn Olson 15:15:54 03/15/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.