Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: No...Well maybe yes too...

Assuming you meant MP3 vs MPG: MP3 may not have advanced the audio art WRT to sonic quality at this point in time. Have to admit though, at high bit rates it can be pretty darn good.

As you observe, MP3 has indeed made music more portable and "ubiquitous". Much greater variety is easily available too! IMO, these are not questionable goals at all. They are different than those of a sonic purist but are certainly valid and definitely more viable than pure sonics in a fiercely competitive capitalist environment. I view MP3 and the like as a stepping stone to high quality and maybe lossless compression schemes of the near future where all your music needs (and other stuff too) will be supplied digitally via some cheap and fast broadband connection at a quality level YOU select.

These days it seems that some purists have to limit their musical horizons because their reproduction equipment reveals unacceptable flaws in the source material and they can't listen thru it. Too bad for them. I may be dreaming but I believe those days will be behind us soon. Will highest quality audio be mainstream? Probably not but it never was mainstream in the past. Will high quality audio cost more than lower quality? Probably, both in terms of transmission and storage media and of the cost of the material itself. When/if things settle down, everybody will get just what they want.

Now wake me up.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.